As the Chicago Blackhawks take a little time to get some rest before the 2020–21 season, they have made a few moves and announcements to get some of their prospects playing, up to speed and prepared for the eventual NHL training camp.
- Rockford IceHogs defenseman Joni Tuulola signed with KooKoo of the Finnish Liiga. Tuulola was not likely to see time with the Blackhawks and probably did not want to spend yet another season in the AHL. The Finland native played 114 games with Rockford over parts of the last three seasons and had 22 points (six goals, 16 assists). Chicago will retain his rights, but we have likely seen the last of the 24-year-old blue liner.
- Rockford IceHogs forward Tim Soderlund was loaned to Almtuna IS of the HockeyAllsvenskan league. The 22-year-old Swede split last season between Rockford and the Indy Fuel during an injury-plagued season. He was limited to 36 games and scored nine points (three goals, six assists).
- Blackhawks 2019 fourth-round draft pick left wing Michal Teply was loaned to BK Mlada Boleslav of the Czech League. Teply was signed to an entry level deal on April 4 after playing last season with the Winnipeg Ice of the WHL. He had a very successful year in Winnipeg, scoring 63 points (29 goals, 34 assists) in 53 games. He is likely slated to spend the 2020–21 season with the Rockford IceHogs if/when the NHL and AHL seasons open. Since he was initially drafted out of the Czech Republic, he can avoid the NHL/CHL agreement that would normally force players to return to the CHL rather than playing in the AHL.
- Rockford IceHogs center Philipp Kurashev was loaned to HC Lugano in Switzerland’s National A League. The 20-year-old 2018 fourth-round draft pick also suffered through an injury-plagued season on Rockford last season. Kurashev only appeared in 36 games and scored 19 points (seven goals, 12 assists).
- Recent Blackhawks signee Pius Suter was loaned to GCK Lions of Switzerland’s National B League. Suter was signed as a free agent on July 16 and is expected to compete for a roster spot with the Blackhawks when training camp eventually takes place.